Each year, Louisiana Baptist churches give over $1.5 million to the Georgia Barnette State Missions Offering. 100% of this money goes to fund various missions projects throughout Louisiana. So far in 2016, 37% of last year’s offering has been disbursed and it is fun to watch this offering at work! Here’s some of what it’s doing so far this year:
- Supporting 74 church plants across Louisiana. $132,000 so far!
- Supporting the work of 39 different Compassion Ministries and 3 Seaman Ministry Centers reaching out to international seafarer’s docking in Louisiana. $21,750 so far!
- Provides funding for the Baptist Mission Builder program which mobilizes construction volunteers and provides contracting services for the building or renovating of first unit buildings for new churches across Louisiana. $27,800 so far!
- Provides training and networking opportunities for church planters, disaster relief volunteers, and missions leaders across Louisiana, including camps for kids in RA and GA programs and missions conferences for elementary through high school. $64,000 so far!
- Provides money for special evangelism projects and block parties across Louisiana.
- Provides money for prison revivals and outreaches across Louisiana.
- Supporting the work of collegiate ministry teams across Louisiana. $85,000 so far!
- Supporting the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary Extension at Angola. $30,000 annually.
- Provides money for literacy training, multi-housing ministry, chaplaincy training, pregnancy resource centers, and inner city ministries. $38,000 so far!
Still close to $1 million to be dispersed this year for these and other ministries across our state! Grateful for the generosity of Louisiana Baptist churches who contribute to this offering that generates so much incredible ministry.
Last year a church planter who received support through Georgia Barnette texted me to say thank you and he said, “I’m going to give you a hug next time I see you.” I texted back, “Instead of that, give Georgia Barnette a hug for us both next time the offering rolls around.”
This year’s goal is $1.8 million. For the sake of the Gospel and ministries across our state, I hope you and your church plan on giving Georgia Barnette a hug this year too!